Nineteen original vintage photographs of a Barberton Gold Mine. The photographs measure 20.5 x 15.5 cms. and are laid down on a very slightly larger board creating margins of a few mm. on each side. Each photograph is annotated on the reverse of the board in pencil "Barberton, Barrett's Berlin Gold Mine, 1886 - 1894", some with further annotation describing the scene. For example one image is annotated "Leonard Acult, Manager". The photos are in generally very good clean condition. There is some foxing, mainly restricted to the reverse of the mounting boards but a few of the images themselves have some light spotting. There is some mild warping/bowing of the mounts.
I have been unable to glean any information about a Barrett's Berlin Mine in Barberton and assume it was one of the early and short lived mines in the area, but the images capture well the feel of early South African gold mining activity.
- Overall Condition: Very Good
- Size: 20.5 X 15.5 cms.
- Name: Ronald Levine - Modern First Editions
- Contact Person: Ronald Levine
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 27 11 728-2044
- Preferred Payment Methods: EFT for S.African customers and PayPal or Bank Transfer for overseas clients. I regret that I no longer accept Credit Cards..
- Trade Associations: SABDA