A three and a bit page autograph manuscript in Afrikaans in black ink by General Jan Smuts. Circa 700 words. Unsigned and undated and written in Smuts' difficult to read script with moderate autograph corrections and thus presumably a first draft of what ostensibly seems to be a reply to an article or letter which he had just read in "de Burger" newspaper. In this document, Smuts defends himself and refutes malicious accusations that he had played a treacherous role in the 1899-1902 war ("de Boeren oorlog"), as well as during the Rebellion of 1914. I have been unable to date this document or trace the (presumably) published version of the article. I am including scan images of the entire document. Pin marks and a faint single fold in each page but in very good condition.
Significant Smuts autograph material is infrequently offered in the market, and this piece is the last of a few Smuts manuscripts that I have been privileged to offer of late.
- Overall Condition: About Very Good
- Size: 25 x 20 cms.
- Name: Ronald Levine - Modern First Editions
- Contact Person: Ronald Levine
- Country: South Africa
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 27 11 728-2044
- Preferred Payment Methods: EFT for S.African customers and PayPal or Bank Transfer for overseas clients. I regret that I no longer accept Credit Cards..
- Trade Associations: SABDA