Bertrand, a Swiss army officer joined an expedition headed by Captain A. St. Hill Gibbons, to the interior of Barotseland. There are detailed accounts of the journey taken from the author's diary, with special attention paid to the terrain and natives of the region. Nearing the rivers Machila and Zambesi, the author bagged buffalo, wildebeest and lion. The illustrations by Van Muyden are particularly vivid (Kenneth Czech - Bibliography of African Big Game Hunting Books 1785 -1999, page 25).
304 pages with 97 illustrations and two maps. 304 pages, frontispiece portrait of the author, 2 folding maps, one of which has a tear, numerous plates - included in the pagination, black and white illustrations. "With the author's compliments" written on the half title page but no signature.
Original red cloth with gilt vignette of a buffalo head on the upper cover, top and bottom of spine a little scuffed, titled gilt on the cover and the spine, a good copy.
- Binding Condition: Very good
- Overall Condition: Good
- Size: 23.5x16
- Name: Africana Books
- Contact Person: Stefan Blank
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 021 4475741
- Preferred Payment Methods: Direct deposit/EFT to our account, or Visa, Master & Amex cards - but an extra 5% will be debited for card chgs.. Paypal also welcome, but 7% charge will be levied, as there are PP &repatriation fees to be paid.
- Trade Associations: Member of SABDA