A lovely copy of the first edition of this work. Groombridge & Sons. 1851 - 1862. Large 8vo. As follows: Vol. I - 1851. 364pp. 60 plates. Vol. II - 360pp. 60 plates. Vol. III - 391pp. 59 plates. Vol. IV - 330pp. 62 plates. Vol. V - 315pp. 57 plates. Vol. VI - 290pp. 60 plates. (Vols IV - VI may be later impressions of the first edition althought not indicated as such). In all 358 fine hand coloured bird plates. Uniformly bound in contemporary half calf and marbled boards with matching marbled endpapers and marbled edges. Spines gilt tooled with leather title lables. With the owner's ex libris (Edward Harrison) laid down on all six pastedowns.
This set is in very good or better condition. All volumes are tightly bound with intact endpapers. The bindings have some evidence of wear and edge rubbing. Internally the volumes are very clean and virtually lacking in foxing. The plates are all in excellent state. A very attractive set.
This is a very heavy set weighing about 7.5Kg. before packing. Courier Shipping (only) outside of South Africa will in accordance be costly. However, offered with an extremely attractive reserve price.
- Binding Condition: Very Good
- Overall Condition: Very Good
- Size: Large 8vo.
- Sold By: Ronald Levine - Modern First Editions
- Contact Person: Ronald Levine
- Country: South Africa
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 27 11 728-2044
- Preferred Payment Methods: EFT for S.African customers and PayPal or Bank Transfer for overseas clients. I regret that I no longer accept Credit Cards..
- Trade Associations: SABDA