Second edition, "Chartwell" Edition, the first illustrated edition. 4 volumes, dark purplish blue unembossed calico-textured cloth, gilt titling on the upper covers and in red on leather labels on the spines, top edges, top edges dyed light blue, numerous illustrations and maps. The spines and boards are insect scarred, light foxing on the endpapers, signature of a previous owner on each front free endpaper, issued without dust jackets. A good set.
Cohen (Ronald) Bibliography of the Writings of Sir Winston Churchill, volume 1, page 933. Number A267.2. 'I agreed to allow the publishers of the illustrated edition of 'The Second World War' to name it after my country home near Westerham in Kent where so much of it had been written. As these special volumes of 'A History of the English-Speaking Peoples', also illustrated, are being brought out as a companion set, I feel it is appropriate that they, too, should be known as the 'Chartwell' edition'. Winston S. Churchill, January 15, 1956. Note to the "Chartwell" Edition, page xxi.
- Overall Condition: A Good Set
- Size: Tall 8vo (250 x 170 mm)
- Sold By: Clarke's Africana & Rare Books
- Contact Person: Paul Mills
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 021 794 0600
- Preferred Payment Methods: Visa & Mastercard via PayGate secure links and Bank transfers, PayPal with a 5% surcharge
- Trade Associations: ABA - ILAB, SABDA