copper engraved map, recent colouring, 95 x 135 mm, text on the verso in Latin with the page number 639, from the pocket atlas Tabularum Geographicarum Contractarum, thin strip of tape at the top edge of the verso.
Amsterdam 1616 or 1618.
'Petrus Bertius (1565 – 1629) was born in Flanders but as a refugee settled first in Amsterdam and then in Leiden, where he was professor of mathematics and librarian at the University of Leiden.
Afterwards he moved to Paris, where in 1618 he became cosmographer to King Louis XIII of France. Bertius died in Paris in 1619.' Betz: The Mapping of Africa, 2007, pages 223/4.
- Sold By: Clarke's Africana & Rare Books
- Contact Person: Paul Mills
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 021 794 0600
- Preferred Payment Methods: Visa & Mastercard and Bank transfers
- Trade Associations: ABA - ILAB, SABDA