With a "Foreword" by President Roosevelt, and Illustrations by E. Caldwell
First edition: 356 pages, frontispiece, 12 plates, original brick red cloth titled gilt on the spine which is now faded, top edge gilt, a very good copy.
Czech (Dr Kenneth) An Annotated Bibliography of African Big Game Hunting Books, 1785 to 1999 page 252: 'A wide-ranging work that discusses everything from the colouration of African big game to the extinction of some species in South Africa. There are plenty of big-game hunting episodes, which Selous uses to accent his chapters on Cape buffalo, black rhinoceros, and lion, among others. Written at a time when there was a noticeable depletion of the great game herds, he becomes almost lyrical in his longing for the old days: "but no man will ever again sit by a camp fire near one of the little rivers....eating prime pieces of fat elephant's heart, roasted on a forked stick, nor watch the great white rhinoceroses coming to drink just before dark nor lie and listen to herd after herd of elephants drinking and bathing in the river near the camp"'.
- Overall Condition: A Very Good Copy
- Size: 8vo (230 x150mm)
- Sold By: Clarke's Africana & Rare Books
- Contact Person: Paul Mills
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 021 794 0600
- Preferred Payment Methods: Visa & Mastercard via PayGate secure links and Bank transfers, PayPal with a 5% surcharge
- Trade Associations: ABA - ILAB, SABDA