now on view at the new gallery of Francis Edwards, Bookseller, London, 1912
The Kaffir wars of 1848-1851. Livingstone's Zambesi Expedition and Chapman's Expedition from the South West Coast to the Victoria Falls.
11 pages, light foxing, recent orange cloth boards, a very good copy.
Nearly all the pictures in this collection depicting Grahamstown, Port Elizabeth,Colesberg, King William's Town and other scenes were made in this period. When the Zambesi expedition under David Livingstone was organised in 1858 Baines was selected to accompany it as artist and storekeeper. Owing to disagreement he joined Thomas Chapman, the Ivory trader in a journey from the SW Coast to the Victoria Falls, It was on this journey that he painted the well know views of the Falls, seven of the original paintings appear in this collection.
- Size: 8vo (260 x200mm)
- Sold By: Clarke's Africana & Rare Books
- Contact Person: Paul Mills
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 021 794 0600
- Preferred Payment Methods: Visa & Mastercard, PayPal (with a 5% surcharge), Bank transfers
- Trade Associations: ABA - ILAB, SABDA