Unpaginated – [36 leaves], handwritten introduction, 20 full colour collages, 14 screenprints, 1 water colour and one extra illustration each with a coloured tissue guard, uncut on the fore-edge and top edge, tied together with a leather thong, pictorial card wrappers, a very good copy.
The handwritten introduction reads as follows:
1. The screen prints (Photo and Collage) were done in collaboration with Chris Betambeau, Advanced Graphics, London. He informs me that this is the first full -colour screenprint book to be produced in England.
2. There are 12 signed screenprints made in South Africa.
3. There is an original signed watercolour. Each book has a different one
4. Other material is added according to my whim.
5. There are 7 proofs and an edition of 50
Signed W. Battiss and dated 1975. No 47 of an edition of 50 copies.
There is a laid down illustration of Fook Island on the verso of the Introduction.
The screenprints are all signed by Battiss and numbered 47/50.
Battiss’ so-called Fook Island concept has its roots in his extensive travels to relatively remote areas in America, the Middle East and Europe. After a lengthy visit to the Pacific Islands in 1976, Battiss began to travel frequently to more remote and seemingly exotic areas.
Born from a hunger for a different and more simple and unspoilt kind of society in which to live, the concept presupposed an area or community with a unique and independent identity. Battiss created ‘fooklore’, stamps, and the Island’s own currency – and thus attracted local and international adherents and Fook Island ‘citizens’ like Norman Catherine, Janet Suzman, Esmé Berman, Jani Allan and Linda Givon. http://walterbattiss.co.za/fook-island/
- Overall Condition: A Very Good Copy
- Size: 8vo (210 x170mm)
- Sold By: Clarke's Africana & Rare Books
- Contact Person: Paul Mills
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 021 794 0600
- Preferred Payment Methods: Visa & Mastercard, PayPal (with a 5% surcharge), Bank transfers
- Trade Associations: ABA - ILAB, SABDA