The first US edition of this Smuts classic in the scarce dustwrapper, published in 1926, the same year as the first UK edition. The original blue cloth binding is bright and near fine. The page block edges and the prelims have some foxing but the book is otherwise internally unmarked and clean. In the very scarce dustwrapper which is price clipped and has some edge wear and chipping at the top of the spine and a few internal archival tape reinforcements.
Loosely laid in is a 2pp. (on a single folded leaf) autograph signed letter by Smuts on Union Parliament House of Assembly letterhead, addressed to 'My dear Vice Chancellor' and dated 18 July 1931. The vice chancellor in question is almost certainly Sir John Carruthers Beattie (1918–1938), the first Principal and Vice Chancellor of the University of Cape Town (both he and Smuts have buildings at this university named after them).
- Jacket Condition: Very Good Minus
- Binding Condition: Very Good Plus
- Overall Condition: Very Good
- Size: 8vo.
- Sold By: Ronald Levine - Modern First Editions
- Contact Person: Ronald Levine
- Country: South Africa
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 27 11 728-2044
- Preferred Payment Methods: EFT for S.African customers and PayPal or Bank Transfer for overseas clients. I regret that I no longer accept Credit Cards..
- Trade Associations: SABDA
Similar lots in the current auction View all
Click on an item to view more details and to bid.