Lot of 2 books related to the Kleinzee diamond discovery in 1925 by Jack Carstens.
1) 'Secret Africa' by Lawrence Green. True first London 'Stanley Paul & Co.' edition. 1936.
287pp. Original Cloth cover. Gilt title to spine. B/w Illustrations.
Light edge wear and slight bumping to corners. Ex libris paste-down to front fixed EP and two names penned to both EPs. Light random foxing. Spine is slightly cocked but binding is good.
In this book, Lawrence Green meets Jack Carstens of Kleinzee and touches on the discovery of diamonds in Kleinzee and Kimberley.
237mm x 165mm x 40mm
2) 'A fortune through my fingers' by Jack Carstens. Howard Timmins, Cape Town, 1962. First Edition.
185pp. Hardcover with price Clipped DW. Illustrated in B/W.
Cellophane protected DW is a bit tatty on the edges. Previous owners name and address penned to front fixed EP. Top corner of front free EP is clipped. Internally clean and tight. Binding is very good.
The authentic and gripping story of a man who allowed a fortune to slip through his fingers, yet was still able to write with warmth and compassion on the full and satisfying life he had led. This is the story of Jack Carstens, discoverer of the first alluvial diamond in Kleinzee, Namaqualand.
220mm x 147mm x 25mm
- Binding Condition: Very good
- Overall Condition: Very good
- Sold By: Booktown Africana
- Contact Person: Chris Shelton
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 27 83 6001962
- Preferred Payment Methods: Internet banking transfer (EFT), PAYPAL. Regret no Credit Card facility.
- Trade Associations: AA Approved
Similar lots in the upcoming auction View all
Click on an item to view more details and to bid.