xliiix plus 383pp plus 32pp ads. Leather rebacked with original gilt pictorial cloth front and back covers retained. Engraved frontis portrait, maps (the rear fold-out of East Africa is missing), 14 hand coloured lithographs (of natural history subjects including 2 of birds by Keulemans), 6 chromolithographic plates, woodcut vignette on title page, 38 woodcuts in the text, tables, index.
Mendelssohn II, 112: 'His account of Matabeleland is one of the best of the earlier modern works on the country'. The appendices contain an article on South African ethnology by Dr. George Rolleston, and catalogues and descriptions of the ornithological, botanical and entomological collections formed by Oates, the ornithology section by R. Bowdler Sharpe, herpetology by Albert Gunther, Entomology by J. O. Westwood, botany by D. Oliver. Wood 497: 'Originally published in 1881'. The plates, both the chromolithographed views, including one of Victoria Falls, and the hand-colored plates of birds by Keulemans, of reptiles, insects and plants are very attractive.
- Binding Condition: Very Good
- Overall Condition: Very Good
- Size: 232mm x 152mm x 45mm
- Sold By: Booktown Africana
- Contact Person: Chris Shelton
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 27 83 6001962
- Preferred Payment Methods: Internet banking transfer (EFT), PAYPAL. Regret no Credit Card facility.
- Trade Associations: AA Approved