Two exceedingly rare early Cape Government Blue Books relating to mineral discoveries in Namaqualand with a distinguished provenance, being ex.lib. Charles Aiken Fairbridge, with his signature on the cover of both books:
1. Correspondence upon the Subject of the Discovery of Metals in Namaqualand and the Leasing of Lands in That Part of the Colony. Presented to both Houses of Parliament 25th. July, 1854. Folio. 42pp. Original printed wrappers. Folding map.
2. Report on the Mineral and Geographical Structure of South Namaqualand and the adjoining Mineral Districts by Andrew Wyley Esq., Official Geological Surveyor of the Cape of Good Hope. Presented to both Houses of Parliament, June, 1857. Folio. 55pp. Original printed wrappers.
Both these volumes are in near fine condition and are protected in a skillfully custom made chemise made of marbled paper lined buckram with a leather title label on the front cover.
Charles Fairbridge was a Member of Parliament and the first President of the Cape Law Society. He designed the coat of arms of the Cape Colony which was first used at the laying of the foundation stone of the new Houses of Parliament in 1875. He accumulated a magnificent collection of books which was finally donated to the South African Library in Cape Town where it is housed in the Fairbridge wing opened in 1927 by then Prime Minister of South Africa JBM Hertzog.
- Overall Condition: Near Fine
- Size: Folio
- Sold By: Ronald Levine - Modern First Editions
- Contact Person: Ronald Levine
- Country: South Africa
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 27 11 728-2044
- Preferred Payment Methods: EFT for S.African customers and PayPal or Bank Transfer for overseas clients. I regret that I no longer accept Credit Cards..
- Trade Associations: SABDA