1 volume. First edition.
Bookplate and signature of Sir Henry Maine.
Publishers blind-stamped covers with gilt vignette.
Gilt title to spine.
xiv, [i], 608 pages + fold-out frontispiece.
12 full-page plates (5 by Thomas Baines).
23 illustrations in the text.
"Livingstone's second book describes his expedition to expose
the Portuguese slave traders and to find a way to establish a
settlement for missions and commerce near the head of the Rovuma.
Attempts to navigate the Rovuma River failed because of the continual
fouling of the paddle wheels from the bodies thrown in the river by
slave traders" (Mendelssohn Vol I, p 915).
Recorded shipping weight 2000g.
Shipped and insured by recorded delivery.
- Binding Condition: Very good
- Overall Condition: Very good
- Size: 22 x 14.5 cm
- Sold By: West Clare Rare Books
- Contact Person: Tom Moloney
- Country: Ireland
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0657087803
- Preferred Payment Methods: Credit Cards - PayPal - Cheque.
- Trade Associations: AA Approved
Similar lots in the upcoming auction View all
Click on an item to view more details and to bid.