66 pages, full page illustrations. Original gilt embossed green cloth front cover, contained in a quarter leather slip case, spine gilt, endpapers lightly foxed, uncut edges, top edge gilt. A very good copy.
The first edition which published the full suite of sixteen Beardsley illustrations.
Introduction by Robert Ross which states that 'Salome has made the author's name a household word wherever the English language is not spoken. Few English plays have had such a peculiar history, Written in French in 1892 it was in full rehearsal by Madame Bernhardt at the Palace Theatre when it was prohibited by the Censor. Oscar Wilde immediately announced his intention of changing his nationality, a characteristic jest, which was only taken seriously, oddly enough in Ireland.'
- Binding Condition: Very good
- Overall Condition: Very good
- Size: 8vo ( 220x170mm)
- Sold By: Clarke's Africana & Rare Books
- Contact Person: Paul Mills
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 021 794 0600
- Preferred Payment Methods: Visa & Mastercard and Bank transfers
- Trade Associations: ABA - ILAB, SABDA