This is a wonderful copy of this important book by Lyell who was a close friend of Darwin and one of the first supporters of his Origin of The Species. The full title of this work is - The Geological Evidences of The Antiquity of Man. In the original embossed green cloth with a gilt decoration on the front board. The cloth is in unusually nice state. There is a small bookplate on the front pastedown and the brown endpapers are slightly mottled. The front hinge has a 4cm. split but remains tight. There is some very mild foxing on a few pages but not extensive. 520pp. with 32 pp. advertisements dated January 1863. With 2 woodcuts plates and numerous in text woodcut illustrations. In a custom made marbled slipcase with leather trimmings. A superb copy.
- Binding Condition: Very Good Plus
- Overall Condition: Very Good Plus
- Size: 8vo.
- Sold By: Ronald Levine - Modern First Editions
- Contact Person: Ronald Levine
- Country: South Africa
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 27 11 728-2044
- Preferred Payment Methods: EFT for S.African customers and PayPal or Bank Transfer for overseas clients. I regret that I no longer accept Credit Cards..
- Trade Associations: SABDA
Similar lots in the current auction View all
Click on an item to view more details and to bid.