An early (1920's) edition of this important illustrated edition of the classic poem, which is regarded as one of and probably the best Pogany illustrated books. It contains 20 full page tipped in colour plates and numerous full page and in text black and white illustrations. The text is calligraphic and highly ornamented, reminiscent of the style of the Kelmscott Press. There is no pagination. Printed by H. & J. Pillans and Wilson in Edinburgh.
What is most noteworthy about this book is the wonderful full olive green leather binding with extensive gilt tooling including a picture in gilt and coloured leather inlays of a ship on the front panel. Headbands hand sewn and top edge gilt.
The condition is very good. The is light edge rubbing, most notable at the top rear of the spine. The leather on the rear board has two small scratches. Internally the book is very clean and unfoxed. There is a name and date (1926) in calligraphic script on the ffep. and a later name neatly written at the top of the front pastedown.
A beautiful book in the de-luxe full leather binding.
- Binding Condition: Very Good
- Overall Condition: Very Good Plus
- Size: 4to.
- Sold By: Ronald Levine - Modern First Editions
- Contact Person: Ronald Levine
- Country: South Africa
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 011643 8437
- Preferred Payment Methods: EFT for S.African customers and Internation Bank Tranfer for customers abroad. I am unable to accept payment by credit card.
- Trade Associations: SABDA
Similar lots in the current auction View all
Click on an item to view more details and to bid.