The scarce first edition of the author of Jock and The Bushveld’s first book. Thin 8vo. 64 pages. 1892. Argus Printing & Publiishing Co. In the original illustrated yellow paper covered boards. Inscribed by Fitzpatrick on the front pastedown “Mrs Edwards/with kind regards/from the writer”.
Condition: There is a darkish stain of the front and rear boards measuring about 10x8cms. and also affecting the top of about 20 pages to varying extents. The author’s inscription is largely in the stained area, but it is not smudged and is easily legible. Apart from the stain, there is slight spotting of the prelims but this remains a clean tight copy. Housed in a custom, handsome, ¼ leather and buckram folder with an inner chemise with gilt titling on the spine.
Inscribed copies of this title are rare.
Dennis Godfrey, in his book The Enchanted Door (Timmins 1963), states that this was the first book to be published on the Rand. He also, interestingly, says that Johannes Van Schaik, publisher and Africana collector, “paid R24 for it and has since refused R40 – which is wise”. Very wise, I would think!!
- Binding Condition: Very Good
- Overall Condition: About Very Good
- Size: Slim 8vo.
- Sold By: Ronald Levine - Modern First Editions
- Contact Person: Ronald Levine
- Country: South Africa
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 27 11 728-2044
- Preferred Payment Methods: EFT for S.African customers and PayPal or Bank Transfer for overseas clients. I regret that I no longer accept Credit Cards..
- Trade Associations: SABDA