Still one of the cornerstones of South African travel writing. The first English edition of this famous work by the intrepid French explorer (Ogilvie No 22). The author's party meandered from Cape Town to the Eastern Cape near present-day Tarkastad, then returned by a more inland route across the Karoo, collecting specimens of natural history interest. Described with the irrepressible enthusiasm of a young man out in the wilds.
[v] xxiii, 442 + 464 pp with two frontispieces and eleven plates of which two are folding. The controversial 'Hottentot Venus' plate has been supplanted with a plate entitled 'Female Hottentot', as was the norm in this edition.The plate of the 'Caffre' (vol 2, p 208) has had a loincloth inked in.
In half calf with marbled paper-covered boards, lavish gilt decoration to spine, and marbled endpapers, on which are two bookplates. The top outer hinge of vol 1 has split for about 3 cm, but the hinge is holding well otherwise. The textblocks are clean and free of foxing, but a few of the plates show moisture stains on the corners, none severe. A lovely set of this evergreen author.
- Binding Condition: Good - very good
- Overall Condition: Good to very good
- Size: 200 x 130 mm
- Sold By: Africana Books
- Contact Person: Stefan Blank
- Country: South Africa
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 021 4475741
- Preferred Payment Methods: Direct deposit/EFT to our account, or Visa, Master & Amex cards - but an extra 5% will be debited for card chgs.. Paypal also welcome, but 7% charge will be levied, as there are PP &repatriation fees to be paid.
- Trade Associations: Member of SABDA