These are said to be portraits of the Bantjes family.
J.G. Bantjes had a prospecting licence on the Farm Vogelstruisfontein owned by Mr. J.G. Steyn from 5 July - 5 August, 1886. (1) Bantjes had some outcrop crushed at Struben's mill which assayed at 10 oz. to the ton. The Bantjes mine was one of the Rand's most famous mines. (2)
1. Gray, Jas., Payable Gold, p.250, South Africa: Central News Agency, 1937.
2. Leyds, G.A., A History of Johannesburg, p.40, 216, 253.
- Overall Condition: Good
- Sold By: Ex Libris
- Contact Person: Dr. P.J.B. Lamb
- Country: South Africa
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0829364794
- Preferred Payment Methods: EFT or Paypal with a 5% surcharge to cover additional costs.
- Trade Associations: AA Approved