Two important signed autograph letters from Smuts to a Miss Hamelberg thanking her for her work for the South African Party. The first letter dated 16 July 1932 is 2pp. on a single leaf Library of Parliament letterhead. In it Smuts thanks the recipient for the invaluable work she did in the Colesberg by-elections 'It has been hard unpleasant spadework all the time......'. 'I am not disillusioned by the result. The spirit of Colesberg spells overwhelming defeat for the Government......'. A fine letter. The second letter dated 13 Mar 1935 is 3pp. on a folded Union Parliament, House of Assembly letterhead. It is a farewell letter of thanks and appreciation to Miss Hamelberg as she has accepted a 'position at the New Hospital' and is on the point of 'severing your connection with our Party organisation'. This was not to be the end of Miss P.F. Hamelberg's political career as she subsequently became Women's Organiser for the United Party. In nice condition. Now with a reserve price well below the market value.
- Overall Condition: Very Good
- Size: 8vo.
- Sold By: Ronald Levine - Modern First Editions
- Contact Person: Ronald Levine
- Country: South Africa
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 27 11 728-2044
- Preferred Payment Methods: EFT for S.African customers and PayPal or Bank Transfer for overseas clients. I regret that I no longer accept Credit Cards..
- Trade Associations: SABDA