Elephant folio size in full leather. (45 cm x 57 cm) The plates in this portfolio have been reproduced with the authority of Miss Anna H. Smith, Director of the Africana Museum, Johannesburg.
This is number 114 of the Library De Luxe Edition.
Frontispiece portrait of The Chief Wankie selling corn and meal by retail in my house on Logier Hill Zambesi River Saturday 24 January 1863.
Three pages on Thomas Baines as Artist and Traveller. A critical study of his life and work by R.F. Kennedy.
Two pages of description of the pictures that follows.
1. Samaganga's village on the Botletle River - May 1863
2. Makalaka kindling a fire by friction - January 1863
3. A chief bringing ivory to sell - December 1861
4. Outspan at Koobie under sweet gum tree - October 1961
5. Drift in the Great Fish River below Cradock - June 1848
6. The trader Mr. Harris' cabin near the White Kei - April 1848
The verso: Thomas Baines as Kunstenaar en Reisiger - 'n Kritiese studie oor sy lewe en werk. En dan die beskrywings van die prente.
- Binding Condition: Very good
- Overall Condition: Very good
- Size: Elephant Folio
Similar lots in the current auction View all
Click on an item to view more details and to bid.