104 pages, full page and other illustrations throughout. Original multicolour raffia spine, beige cloth-covered boards titled on front cover. Number 101 of 150 specially bound copies out of a limited edition of 500 copies, signed by Irma Stern on the limitations page.
'Stern visited in Zanzibar in 1939 and 1945. The island offered her access to a way of life she had glimpsed in her contact with the Cape Malays. In 1942, seemingly oblivious of the War, she ventured into central Africa ... In Zanzibar Arabs and the Mangbetu and Watussi of the Congo Stern found the models she sought; she responded to the colour and exoticism of these cultures although she saw the people in simplistic terms and was guilty of fatuous and patronizing statements about their life styles. It is as if she was unable to see life in any terms other than the visual.' Arnold (Marion) Irma Stern: A Feast for the Eye, (Fernwood Press, 1995:13).
A very good copy.
- Binding Condition: Very good
- Overall Condition: Very good
- Sold By: Ike's Books and Collectables
- Contact Person: Joanne Rushby
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0027 31 3039214
- Preferred Payment Methods: VISA, Mastercard, Diners Club
- Trade Associations: SABDA