Following his success in leading an expedition up the Indus in 1835, Wood was appointed as assistant to Alexander Burnes's mission to Afghanistan. "The mission had both commercial and military aims, and Wood was charged with gathering information about the Indus and the topography and mineral deposits of the surrounding area" (ODNB). Having followed Burnes up the Indus and then to Kabul, he struck out on a separate expedition, culminating in his supposed discovery source of the Oxus on 19 February 1838, high in the Hindu Kush.
Original Gray-green cloth with bright gilt spine titles. Spine ends lightly frayed. Original endpapers firm and tight. Scattered light foxing. Long folding map in nice condition.
- Binding Condition: Very Good
- Overall Condition: Very Good, tight and firm
- Size: Octavo
- Sold By: Classic Arms Books
- Contact Person: Ken Czech
- Country: United States
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 320-255-1870
- Preferred Payment Methods: Paypal, check or money order in U.S. funds
- Trade Associations: Advanced Book Exchange