Original 2 page document signed by Queen Victoria at St James’s on the 14 January 1842 with paper covered red wax seal.
The document is a reduction of sentence for George Arnold originally sentenced to 10 years transportation now reduced to 7 years.He was sentenced for larceny.
The document was originally folded into a quarter of its size and on the outer fold is written Warrior .The Warrior was a notorious convict hulk ship where prisoners were incarcerated prior to transportation.
A photo copy of a list of prisoners incarcerated in 1849 on Warrior is included which details name, age, offence ,where and when the offence was committed and the length of the sentence.The harshness of the sentences is contained in an example of William Clarke age 20 stealing a handkerchief from the parson and sentenced to 10 years.
- Overall Condition: Very good
- Sold By: Roger Stewart Antiquarian
- Contact Person: Dr. Roger Stewart
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +27836541081
- Preferred Payment Methods: LOCAL: EFT; INTERNATIONAL: PAYPAL (add 5%) or Bank Transfer; no credit cards
- Trade Associations: IMCOS
Similar lots in the current auction View all
Click on an item to view more details and to bid.