Frederick de WIT (c.1629 - 1706)
Totius Africae Accuratissima Tabula … Per F. de Witt [sic.] Amstel Cum Priv…
Amsterdam: [undated but circa 1690] Original copper-engraved map, coloured by hand, with central fold, overall sheet size: 20 ¾ x 24 1/4in; 528 x 615mm.
Condition: neat repairs to both margins with voids filled and fine facsimile work, neat repairs and strengthening to central fold.
An attractive map of the whole continent of Africa. Shown on this map are numerous large lakes and rivers, hundreds of place names. The supposed origin of the Nile is based upon Ptolemy's description. The kingdom of Monomotapa comes down as far as the Rio de Infante. A decorative title cartouche shows human inhabitants, lions and an elephant. There are also a number of small animal vignettes within the map.
- Overall Condition: acceptable
- Size: 20 ¾ x 24 1/4in; 528 x 615mm.
- Sold By: Shadowrock Rare Books
- Contact Person: Adam Langlands
- Country: United States
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 001-860-248-1547
- Preferred Payment Methods: Paypal, US$ checks and wire transfers, major credit cards through paypal
- Trade Associations: AA Approved