In his author's note, written in Muizenberg in October 1931, Taylor writes: "Few men went to the diamond diggings as young as I was in 1870, and few men now living were at the goldfields of the Transvaal as early as I was - four years before the discovery of the Witwatersrand. There is perhaps no one else left who can tell so much from personal recollection of those days of romantic and adventurous treasure-seeking."
The navy blue cloth-boards, gilt to spine, are only very slightly stained and rubbed, the spine is unfaded and the lettering is bright. The binding is tight. There is an owner signature on the front free endpaper, with the endpapers otherwise unmarked and unfoxed. There is some light foxing, especially to early and late leaves of the 288 pp of text, and to the front and lower page edges. The book has a frontispiece and 23 other inserted single-sided plates on art paper.
- Binding Condition: Very Good
- Overall Condition: Very Good
- Size: 220 x 150
- Sold By: Fontein Books
- Contact Person: Richard Proctor-Sims
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 051 773 0050/048 079 546 4032
- Preferred Payment Methods: Eft or, for overseas buyers, Visa or Mastercard credit cards.
- Trade Associations: AA Approved
Similar lots in the current auction View all
Click on an item to view more details and to bid.