[Sylvia SYDNEY, James CAGNEY]. - "Blood on the Sun" [Cagney Productions, U.A., 1945]
Michael WOULFE (artist, 1918-2007).
An original costume design from the movie "Blood on the Sun", for an outfit worn by Silvia Sidney in the movie, during the scene where her character (Iris Hilliard) meets newspaper editor Nick Condon (played by James Cagney) for the first time.
[?Hollywood, CA:] October 1944.
Gouache, watercolor and pencil, inscribed 'Michael Woulfe / Blood on the Sun / 10/44', on thick wove paper (18 x 13 1/2ins; 457 x 343mm). Framed and glazed.
Condition of drawing: slight waviness to paper, old adhesive tape marks to verso, a few small light brown marks (see images).
Woulfe's original designs appear to be rare on the market (perhaps because his archive was given to the Academy in 2013), but please note that a Jane Russell costume design by Woulfe sold for $3250.
The movie has been hailed as the first Kung Fu Movie (actually Jujitsu Movie would be more accurate). Woulfe was just 25 when he worked on this movie - it launched his career and led to a life-long friendship with Sylvia Sidney.
See Woulfe & Jervis "Glamour & Mischief!" (2016).
- Overall Condition: acceptable
- Size: 18 x 13 1/2 in; 457 x 343mm
- Sold By: Shadowrock Rare Books
- Contact Person: Adam Langlands
- Country: United States
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 001-860-248-1547
- Preferred Payment Methods: Paypal, US$ checks and wire transfers, major credit cards through paypal
- Trade Associations: AA Approved
Similar lots in the current auction View all
Click on an item to view more details and to bid.