A tranche of documents relating to Benjamin Moodie's farm 'Grootvaders Bosch' which is situated in the Western Cape inland from the mouth of the Brede River. It was intended to sell off lots or even to lay out a village, and here we have the writings on the prospects of the area by Benjamin Moodie himself. This tranche contains assorted preliminary writing, and a final document which gathers everything together in a rational manner.
- 3 separate sheets, 7 sides written. Preliminary writings.
- 3 separate sheets, 8 sides written. Draft of final document.
- 3 sheets bound with silk tie. 8 sides written. A final document.
No dates. The paper is watermarked variously 1838 - 1840.
The farm exists to this day, adjacent to the Groot Vadersbosch Nature Reserve (a world heritage site in the Langeberg region). Grootvadersbosch Farm itself is in the Heidelberg district, about 250km from Cape Town. This farm is one of South Africa's historic treasures. The homestead was built in 1735 and 6 generations of the Moodie family have lived here since 1818.
Additional images and transcription available on request.
Our Ref: #27263
- Overall Condition: Very Good.
- Size: Generally 320mm x 200mm.
- Sold By: Fables Bookshop
- Contact Person: Ian Balchin
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 046-625-0202
- Preferred Payment Methods: Mastercard, Visa, etc. PayPal subject to 5% surcharge, Ts&Cs apply. EFT for local clients invoiced in Rands. Bitcoin accepted for some transactions. USA corporate buyers can pay direct into a US bank account.
- Trade Associations: SABDA