Cape Views and Costumes by Henry Clifford de Meillon is the third volume in the Brenthurst Series. Only 850 copies printed - this book signed by the author. It is an attractive work illustrated in colour with many plates of De Meillon's water-colours of pre-Victorian Cape Town.
The book includes 23 water-colours which De Meillon painted of the buildings of Cape Town and of the 64 costume plates of the city's inhabitants.
De Meillon's People of Colour, by Robert C.H. Shell is included: it is a bound article on their dress and occupations with special reference to Cape Views and Costumes. The rear cover of the article has some loss of colour at the top margin, otherwise in very good condition.
Original red-brown boards, with gilt lettering to spine. Dust cover; spine faded, otherwise in very good condition. 134 pages of text.
- Jacket Condition: Very good
- Binding Condition: Tight
- Overall Condition: Very good
- Size: 272 x 269 x 25mm
- Sold By: Roger Stewart Antiquarian
- Contact Person: Dr. Roger Stewart
- Country: South Africa
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: +27836541081
- Preferred Payment Methods: LOCAL: EFT; INTERNATIONAL: PAYPAL (add 5%) or Bank Transfer; no credit cards
- Trade Associations: IMCOS