No. 225 of 300 copies signed by the artist constituting the entire edition of this title. This copy is further boldly inscribed with blue crayon on the front free endpaper "To Joe / a bit of Africa / from / Irma Stern / 1945". Although not documented, it is likely that the recipient of this book was Joseph Sachs who had published the small monograph on Stern entitled "Irma Stern and The Spirit of Africa" in 1942. Another speculation is that the Joe in question might have been the South African artist, galleryist, good friend and promoter of Stern, Joe Wolpe. In either event this is a significant personally inscribed copy of this major South African artist.
In the original brown rafia and beige cloth binding. Small 4to. With tipped in and in-texte monochrome illustrations. There is the slightest fraying of the rafia at the extreme ends of the spine but this remains a very good plus otherwise unmarked copy.
- Binding Condition: Very Good
- Overall Condition: Very Good Plus
- Size: Small 4to.
- Sold By: Ronald Levine - Modern First Editions
- Contact Person: Ronald Levine
- Country: South Africa
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 27 11 728-2044
- Preferred Payment Methods: EFT for S.African customers and PayPal or Bank Transfer for overseas clients. I regret that I no longer accept Credit Cards..
- Trade Associations: SABDA