One of the most notable epics in the quest for the source of the Nile, Speke and Grant spent two and a half years painfully making their way inland from Zanzibar and north towards the Mediterranean. 658 pp with numerous engraved plates and text illustrations; map in pocket at rear, plus 34 pp catalogue for Blackwoods at rear. In half calf with marbled boards, most of textblock still unslit, the two portraits of the explorers both show damp-like blotches in the margins, but besides that the textblock is in very good, clean condition; Map has been backed on paper, and there are a number of tears on folds and bends, without loss, its pocket inside rear cover has been renewed.
- Jacket Condition: n/a
- Binding Condition: Very good
- Overall Condition: Very good
- Size: 230 x 150 mm
- Sold By: Africana Books
- Contact Person: Stefan Blank
- Country: South Africa
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 021 4475741
- Preferred Payment Methods: Direct deposit/EFT to our account, or Visa, Master & Amex cards - but an extra 5% will be debited for card chgs.. Paypal also welcome, but 7% charge will be levied, as there are PP &repatriation fees to be paid.
- Trade Associations: Member of SABDA
Similar lots in the current auction View all
Click on an item to view more details and to bid.