- From the front flap: "In many respects this book has had a remarkable history. [To the publisher's] knowledge, this is the only English work written by Gustav Preller, the pioneer Afrikaans historian and journalist"
- Correspondence found with the manuscript indicated that Preller had submitted it to an English-language publisher soon after it was written in 1937; when its report was discouraging, the author asked the opinion of a certain Rev Patterson, who said "there is nothing I wish to alter"
- Preller fell ill shortly afterwards and only thirty years later did the present publisher rediscover the manuscript
Hugo Coetzee's stark b/w portrait fills the front of the dustjacket; yellow-out-of-black lettering to the front, back and spine; yellow cloth-boards, with black lettering to the upper panel and spine; plain endpapers; viii/318 pp of prelims, including preface, unillustrated text, an appendix listing seven treaties and concessions, some in Dutch and some in English, and a bibliography
- Jacket Condition: Good
- Binding Condition: Very Good
- Overall Condition: Near Very Good
- Size: 220 x 145; 0.5 kg