Antiquarian Auctions

Auction #116 begins on 11 Jul 2024

Manuscript Map.

MILLWOOD GOLDFIELDS

Lot closed

Sold for: Register or Sign In to find out

Bids: 5

Visits: 107

Have a similar item to sell? Contact Us with the details.

How it works

Register

Showing all the principal work at present carried on in the proclaimed area planned for Messrs Baker and Nicolay by me signed Chas. Marais. S.G.S. Millwood 1887.

Hand drawn map of the Millwood Goldfields (500 x670mm) on waxed paper with holes punched along the top and bottom edges. Pasted on to the bottom left hand side of the map is a geological plan signed by T. Bain. Above the title of the map is a hand drawn mark with the following inscription : J P Nicolay Broker Millwood. The map is in good condition.

Col. Schermbrucker, the Commisioner of Crown Lands, officially proclaimed the Millwood Reserve - an area of 50 square miles - a public digging and mining area under Act 19 of 1883 on 6 January 1887. At Millwood itself the gold fields were publicly proclaimed on 21 January by the Chairman of the newly-formed Gold Commission. which replaced the Diggers' Committee. This Gold Commission. which consisted of Thomas Bain, Shepstone Giddy and Patrick Fletcher was responsible for all registration of claims and the resolution of claim disputes. The proclamation necessitated the re-registration of all reef and alluvial claims.The official record of production for 1887 at Millwood was 655 ounces (18,568.938 grams) of gold.
For further information see: The story of the Millwood Goldfields: https://www.knysnamuseums.co.za/pages/gold-mining/

Patrick Fletcher was appointed Inspector of Mines and served on the Millwood Gold Commission in 1887. He was co-author of two reports to Parliament: Report of the Millwood (Knysna) Gold Commission G 47/1887, by S. Giddy, P. Fletcher and T.C.J. Bain; and Report on the Knysna Goldfields, and on gold-mining and prospecting in the Colony, for the year 1887, by T.C.J. Bain, P. Fletcher and P.D. Hahn G.48/1888. As Inspector of Mines at Knysna he submitted annual reports for the years 1888 to at least 1891. In August 1891 his appointment was changed to inspector and registrar of gold mines at Millwood, a post he filled to 1895.http://www.s2a3.org.za/bio/Biograph_final.php?serial=948

Thomas Charles John Bain was the second son of Andrew Geddes Bain. He published three geological papers in the Cape Monthly Magazine (2nd series): Prospecting for gold in the Bokkeveld (1874, pp. 300-304); Search for gold in the Knysna region (1876, pp. 191-192); and Notes on the geology of the western districts (1877, Vol. 15, pp. 171-178). After E.J. Dunn had reported favourably on the Millwood goldfields near Knysna, Bain was appointed acting mining commissioner there. He investigated the finds and, with C.F. Osborne, reported positively in May 1886, whereupon he, G. Shepstone and P. Fletcher snr were appointed as the Millwood Gold Commission. The Commission reported on the workings to parliament in 1887. He was also constantly concerned with the search for water, and in 1885 and 1886 published two booklets, Practical hints on water finding in connection with geology, and on the construction of dams, and Water-finding, dam-making, river utilization,
http://www.s2a3.org.za/bio/Biograph_final.php?serial=130

  • Overall Condition: Very Good
  • Sold By: Clarke's Africana & Rare Books
  • Contact Person: Paul Mills
  • Country: South Africa
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Telephone: 021 794 0600
  • Preferred Payment Methods: Visa & Mastercard via PayGate secure links and Bank transfers.
  • Trade Associations: ABA - ILAB, SABDA


© 2024 Paul Mills trading as AntiquarianAuctions.com. All rights reserved. Use of this website is regulated by our website Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.