Scripta Africana, complete set of 11 volumes, limited edition published from 1985 to 1989, only 1000 copies printed. This completed leather bound set number 493/1000 comes from the estate of a founder subscriber. The title selected includes two on the first Anglo-Boer war, two by foreign military observers, one by a former British member of Parliament of that time, and two new books previously never published. The titles are as follows, in order of publication.
- May 1985. General de Wet's Three Years' War. facsimile of Scribner's 1902 edition.
- November 1985. Carter's account of the 'first' Boer War, its causes and results. Facsimile of third John Macqueen edition of 1900.
- June 1986. Official English translation by Colonels Waters and Du Cane of the German Official Account of the War in South Africa. Two parts in one volume. 18 maps bound separately. Facsimile of John Murray editions of 1904 and 1906.
- June 1986. As told to C Bedell and Piet Grobler. The memoirs of Paul Kruger. Originated not stated.
- December 1986. Brian Pottinger. The foreign Volunteers. They fought fot the Boers, 1899 - 1902. originated not stated.
- April 1987. Arthur Conan Doyle. The Great Boer War. Originated not stated.
- July 1987. Paul Butterfield. War and Peace in South Africa 1879 - 1881. Anew book on the first Anglo Boer War, based on the letters and diaries of Philip Anstruther and Edward Essex.
- October 1987. Howard C Hillegas. With the Boer Forces.Facsimile of Methuen's illustrated edition of 1900.
- December 1987. Captains Slocum and Reichmann. Boer War operations in South Africa. Facsimile of U S Government Printing office edition of 1901.
- April 1988. Michael Davitt. The Boer Fight for Freedom. Davitt who resighned as a member of the British Parliament in protest against Britain's actions, came to South Africa as an observerof the war, and followed mainly General Philip Botha, to whose memory his book is dedicated. Facsimile of the third Funk and Wagnalls illustrated edition of 1902.
- April 1989. Mario Lupini. Camillo Reichmann. Italian Boer War Hero. Newly written for the series.
- Jacket Condition: (Slipcases) Good
- Binding Condition: Fine
- Overall Condition: Fine
- Size: 27 cm x 23 cm, weight 25 kg
Similar lots in the current auction View all
Click on an item to view more details and to bid.