120 X 140 cms (47 x 49 inches), with tasselled border, slightly faded.
Peter Oosthuizen in Boer War Memorabilia (London 1987, page 187, item no. 358), 'A tapestry made in Germany in 1900, depicting General C.R. de Wet, and armoured train and other scenes from the Boer War. (table cloth size).'
The tapestry depicts a number of other events of the war as well as the attack on the armoured. There is a tethered War Balloon - balloons were used for observation and were tethered with a steel cable and winch on a cart but here shown as being controlled by four soldiers. There is an imaginary attack by British cavalry on a line of Boer carts and British guns shelling a fortified Boer farmstead.
No date or place, (circa 1900).
- Sold By: Clarke's Africana & Rare Books
- Contact Person: Paul Mills
- Country: South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 021 794 0600
- Preferred Payment Methods: Visa & Mastercard via PayGate secure links and Bank transfers
- Trade Associations: ABA - ILAB, SABDA