London 1872, Stanford. 1st UK edition. Green pictorial cloth, gilt stamped with gilt Chinese flag design on the front cover, 192p., appendix, colour fold out frontis map, very good, 13 x 19.5 cm usual corner wear, contents clean. Binding a little shaken.
Candid insights to China by an old missionary and long-time resident. Covers the position of foreigners, character and habits of foreign residents, missionaries, consuls and customs authorities. The customs of the Chinese, shop signs, advertising, opium smoking, infanticide, eating and drinking, etc. Fascinating observations by a keen British diplomat and observer.
Medhurst was H.B.M. British consul in Shanghai.
- Jacket Condition: N/A
- Binding Condition: Very Good
- Overall Condition: Very Good
- Size: 8 Vo
- Sold By: White Eagle Books
- Contact Person: Andrew Saidi
- Country: United Kingdom
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 020 8997 9894
- Preferred Payment Methods: Paypal
- Trade Associations: PBFA IOBA