KIPLING with a DUST-JACKET
Rudyard KIPLING (1865-1936).
Traffics and Discoveries. London: Macmillan and co [printed by R. Clay & Sons Limited], 1904. Octavo (7 3/4 x 5in; 197 x 127mm). Pp.[i-]vi; [1-]393, , blank; [i-vi, advertisements]; 1- 16 catalogue, dated '25.08.04'. Original red cloth, blocked in gilt on upper cover and spine, top edges gilt, original cream-coloured dust-wrapper printed in red, books listed to rear at 6s., price label '7/6 net' over imprint on spine of wrapper. Condition: text and cloth binding are excellent, with very slight rubbing to gilt medallion on the upper cover [see images], the dust jacket is lightly surface soiled and toned with minor nicks and chips [see images].
FIRST EDITION, issue with catalogue correctly dated '25.8.04': a very good copy indeed, and quite rare with the dust-wrapper. A quality collection of short stories including a number inspired by or set during the Boer War (The Captive; The Comprehension of Private Copper; A Sahib's War; The Army of a Dream; etc.). Also included are a number that qualify as fantasy literature. Stewart 295. Bleiler; The Guide to Supernatural Fiction , also Bleiler; Checklist of Fantastic Literature [p170]. Kipling; Something of Myself (p215). Wilson; The Strange Ride of Rudyard Kipling. Amis; Kipling and his World. Livingston 289.
- Jacket Condition: acceptable
- Binding Condition: excellent
- Overall Condition: excellent
- Size: 7 3/4 x 5in; 197 x 127mm
- Sold By: Shadowrock Rare Books
- Contact Person: Adam Langlands
- Country: United States
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 001-860-248-1547
- Preferred Payment Methods: Paypal, US$ checks and wire transfers, major credit cards through paypal
- Trade Associations: AA Approved