Signed by the author on the title-page.
Colour paintings by Mary Maytham Kidd on upper and and lower panels and back flap of and unclipped dustjacket (63 shillings) plus black lettering on the front flap:
- "The 94 four-colour plates in this book illustrate over 800 plants of the Cape Peninsula - trees, shrubs and flower from vlei, veld, sand dune, mountain-top and wayside - arranged in months and roughly in localities.
- "Many of these plants are common to the whole Peninsula. Some grow only in the Southern Peninsula . . .
- "The flowering months given are those in which the plants are most commonly found in flower . . .
- "The aim of this book is . . . to serve as a guide to those who wish to identify flowers for themselves, and to encourage the preservation of the unique Cape Peninsula flora from the ravages of reckless ignorance or ruthless 'progress'."
- "It is a pleasure writing a foreword to introduce this book, with its beautiful painting of the plants of the Cape Peninsula. When the authoress began these paintings I saw a number of them and told her I would be happy to sponsor her book when published. In her charming preface she disclaims any expert knowledge of botany, and tells how she came to paint the Cape flowers. But in spite of her modesty I feel that she has made a valuable contribution to our knowledge and enjoyment of the plant life of the Cape, and that all lovers of our magnificent flora will be deeply indebted to her . . . "
- Jacket Condition: Good
- Binding Condition: Very Good
- Overall Condition: Very Good
- Size: 225 x 145
- Sold By: Fontein Books
- Contact Person: Richard Proctor-Sims
- Country: South Africa
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 051 773 0050/048 079 546 4032
- Preferred Payment Methods: Eft or, for overseas buyers, Visa or Mastercard credit cards.
- Trade Associations: AA Approved
Similar lots in the current auction View all
Click on an item to view more details and to bid.