Publisher's brown cloth, gold titles.
vi + 325pp.
Book is clean and square and in very good condition with only a crossed-out contemporary gift inscription on the front end paper.
An anglicised version of the infamous Cape Governor's name appears on the spine while the original Dutch version is used on the title page.
The book is divided into four 'sketches'.
1. Exploration by the Portuguese of the Western Coast of Africa and discovery of the Cape of Good Hope.
2. First voyages of the French and English to India. The War in the Netherlands. The war at sea between Spain and the Netherlands. The truce with Spain and English rivalry.
3. Governor Willem Adriaan van der Stel. Ordinary events during the administration of Governor Willem Adriaan van der Stel. Faithless conduct of the governor. Proceedings in the Netherlands regarding Governor van der Stel.
4. Chronicles of two leaders of the great emigration, Louis Triegard and Pieter Uys.
- Binding Condition: Very Good
- Overall Condition: Very Good
- Size: 8vo.
Similar lots in the current auction View all
Click on an item to view more details and to bid.