William Wirt CALKINS (1842-1914). [A collection of works]. Chicago: 1872-1880. 6 works in five volumes, octavo (8 ½ x 5 1/2in; 216 x 140mm., and smaller). Various colored paper wrappers, (all with old staple stab holes), all loose within a single cream paper wrapper.
An interesting gathering of the earlier malacological works by Calkins – one signed by the author. Calkins, lumberman, was interested in natural history in general from childhood, and was one of the founders of the Ottawa Academy of Natural Sciences. From the 1870s onwards he concentrated on conchology: a gifted amateur who published regularly, he seems to have been well respected within the malacological community.
[The collection consists of:]
1. Catalogue of living Illinois Mollusca. Chicago: Dec. 1872. Pp.[1-3]-4. Unbound. See OCLC 768247470.
2. [Proceedings of the Ottawa Academy of Natural Sciences]. The Land & Fresh Water Shells of La Salle county, Ills. Chicago: H. McAllaster & Co., 1874. Pp. [1-3]-4-48. 1 wood-engraved plate. (Wormhole to outer blank margins, toned.) Original cream/yellow wrappers (lacking the lower wrapper). Provenance: signed by the author on the upper cover. See OCLC 40307717.
3.&4. [Drop-head title:] Catalogue of Marine Collections in Natural History. Cabinet of W.W.Calkins… June 1875. Pp.[i-ii; 1-]2-17[-18 final blank page]. (Old tear to final leaf). (but see lot 26); [bound with:] [Drop-head title:] Catalogue of Land and Fresh Water Shells. Collection of W.W.Calkins… September 1, 1874. Pp.[1-]2-8. Not found in OCLC. [and:] Addenda to the Catalogue being species added to the collection from Sept. 1, 1874, to April 1. 1875. Pp. 9-11[-12 final blank page]. 2 works in one. Light grey/green wrappers.
5. [Drop-head title:] Catalogue of the Marine Shells of Florida, with notes and descriptions of several new species. By W.W. Calkins, Chicago. Read before the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences, March 29th, 1878. Pp. [i] 232-252-[253-254] + 1 p. small format errata slip bound in. Half-title. 1 lithographed plate. Original blue wrappers. Probably in OCLC 767837982 (sammelband in the Univ. of Chicago Library).
6. [Drop-head title:] American Conchology. Catalogue of Uniones in the Cabinets of W.W.Calkins… July 1880. [Chicago: Ottaway & Company, 1880] Pp. [i-ii; 1-]2-12. (Old vertical creases). Yellow paper wrappers (old light vertical creasing [see images]). OCLC 34083391 (3 locations listed). (6)
- Binding Condition: Acceptable
- Overall Condition: Acceptable
- Size: Various