Artemas WARD (compiler).
Columbus Outdone: An Exact Narrative of the Voyage of the Yankee Skipper, Capt. Wm. A. Andrews, in the Boat "Sapolio" - Compiled from the Log & Original Documents by Artemas Ward, Advertising Manager for Enoch Morgan's Sons Co. New York: 1893. Octavo (7 1/2 x 5 1/4in; 190 x 133mm). Pp. [1-]5-198. Portrait frontispiece, illustrations, most full-page, two folding, extra-illustrated with two cuttings and a small format flier at the back. Light brown cloth, upper cover with blocked pictorial design, noting that the book is the 'World's Fair Souvenir Edition', patterend endpapers (very lightly soiled, light surface damage to the front pastedown). Provenance: Florence Grosvenor Ward, niece of Artemas Ward (inscribed at front "Gift of Florence Ward, August 28, 1936, gifted to); the Am.[erican] Antiquarian Society (blindstamp to title, small discrete ‘Sold by AAS’ stamp on rear pastedown).
Fine presentation copy of a work celebrating William A. Andrews trans-Atlantic trip in a 14ft 6in. boat which he built himself. The boat plus her captain subsequently appeared at the World's Fair.
- Binding Condition: Excellent
- Overall Condition: Excellent
- Size: 7 1/2 x 5 1/4in; 190 x 133mm
- Sold By: Shadowrock Rare Books
- Contact Person: Adam Langlands
- Country: United States
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 001-860-248-1547
- Preferred Payment Methods: Paypal, US$ checks and wire transfers, major credit cards through paypal
- Trade Associations: AA Approved