Antonio PEREZ (1583-1673).
Ivs Pvblicvm, quo arcana & iura principis exponuntur.
Amsterdam: Apud Ludovicum & Danielem Elsevirios, 1657. Small 12mo (4 7/8 x 3 1/8in; 123 x 80mm). Pp. [i-xvi], 338 pp. Engraved additional title. (Lower margin of additional title shaved with loss to imprint). Near-contemporary brown/red leather, spine gilt in five compartments, black leather lettering-piece in the second compartment, he others with repeat decoration in gilt centering on a ‘CC’ monogram, vinegar endpapers, speckled edges (five discrete worm hole to covers, the covers appear to be unaffected). Provenance: Dr. Theo Veen (bookplate).
An attractive, well-preserved copy of the first edition, with side notes. Perez, a Spanish jurist and statesman, was Professor of Law at the University of Louvain, state counselor to Phillip II and an influential scholar of Roman law. His commentaries on Roman law were highly esteemed because they were not just elucidations, but original contributions to legal theory.
Walker. Oxford Companion to Law. 946.
Not in Willems, Graesse or the British Museum Catalogue.
- Binding Condition: Excellent
- Overall Condition: Excellent
- Size: 4 7/8 x 3 1/8in; 123 x 80mm
- Sold By: Shadowrock Rare Books
- Contact Person: Adam Langlands
- Country: United States
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 001-860-248-1547
- Preferred Payment Methods: Paypal, US$ checks and wire transfers, major credit cards through paypal
- Trade Associations: AA Approved