" . . . 876 Southern African species aranged according to where they are most often seen in the region's 15 main ecological habitats, with full-page coverage of 459 common species - most with additional paintings of the birds in flight - and smaller paintings of 417 less common birds and 278 species found in more than one habitat"
This copy of the standard edition is signed by the author on the title page. Although the copy is otherwise near-fine, the index of English common names has been marked in pencil, possibly to show changed names (such as warbler for apalis and mannikin); but by whom is a mystery as no previous owner - unless it were Liversidge himself - is recorded.
Organised into habitats, this book was described on publication as the best field guide to the birds of Southern Africa - " . . . except that it weighs two kilograms!"
Endpaper colour maps of habitats. 488 pp of colour-illustrated text and 4 indexes, all on matt art paper + 2 marker ribbons.
Collectable as a pencil-marked and signed copy.
- Jacket Condition: Printed laminated paper-boards
- Binding Condition: Very Good
- Overall Condition: Very Good
- Size: 295 x 200
- Sold By: Fontein Books
- Contact Person: Richard Proctor-Sims
- Country: South Africa
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 051 773 0050/048 079 546 4032
- Preferred Payment Methods: Eft (South Africa), SWIFT (rest of world), or $ checks for US or Australian buyers
- Trade Associations: AA Approved